It’s a fact of life that pharmacists make mistakes, as they are all human. Sadly, no one is completely safe from medication mistakes. This is especially true for children, as they are more vulnerable to medication errors because of their small size. When children are victims of receiving the wrong liquid medication, pills, and even drops, they can suffer horrible consequences as a result of someone’s careless actions.
When children have a medical problem or health concern, parents take their children to doctors for a proper diagnosis and prescription. However, mistakes can occur along the way. The wrong prescription can be passed along to the pharmacy, or a pharmacist could fill the wrong medication—causing innocent children pain and suffering.
This is exactly what happened to an eight-month-old infant in the UK who received ear drops by a pharmacist instead of eye drops. According to reports, baby Cherish had conjunctivitis and was given drops by a pharmacist. The infant’s mother, Chantelle Ali, claims she administered the drops four or five times before she realized the pharmacist gave her ear drops instead of eye drops.
Chantelle realized something was wrong when baby Cherish had a mild reaction to the drops, as “her eyes were a bit red afterwards and she was trying to rub them,” said Chantelle, who is concerned her baby “could have been blinded” due to this pharmacy error.
If your child suffered due to a negligent pharmacist, you may need the help of a pharmacy error attorney who has had success handling children medication error cases. To find out about your child’s rights, call Kennedy Hodges for a free consultation today at 888-526-7616.