We recently wrote an article about a 7-year-old boy who was hospitalized due to a pharmacist’s error. New information on this case is now available. We understand that the little boy almost died due to a drug mix-up caused by the pharmacist.
The pharmacist filled the prescription with the wrong medication, which caused the little boy to overdose. The boy was supposed to receive Ritalin, clinically known as methylphenidate, to treat his ADHD; however, the boy received methadone – a drug used to treat heroin addicts as part of their recovery process.
Now, the boy’s family is suing for mental anguish, medical expenses, and future costs of caring for the boy.
How Could This Pharmacy Error Occur?
The pharmacy mix-up allowing for the wrong medication to be dispensed was the result of several factors:
- The pills for both methadone and methylphenidate are stamped with the letter “M”.
- Both the pills are distributed in 10 milligram doses.
- Both drugs were located in the same drawer in the pharmacy.
- Both lids are almost identical and the pharmacy dispenser bottles were not marked to differentiate them.
- The prescription must not have been double or even triple-checked for accuracy before it left the pharmacy.
The pharmacy also incorrectly had labeled the pill bottle for methadone, indicating the drug was Ritalin.
While the boy’s mother now knows that the shapes of the pills are different, she didn’t think anything of it at the time. She had filled the prescription with a generic brand and the pill bottle said the correct name. Previously her son was taking a hexagon shaped pill, but this time the pill was square.
Our pharmacy error lawyers at Kennedy Hodges L.L.P. would like to wish this boy a full recovery following his scare. We can be reached at 888-526-7616 for a free consultation if you or a loved one has been a victim of wrong medication.