When an infant is sick, a mother turns to a doctor and pharmacist to help treat her baby. However, sometimes a medication mistake can occur; a mother may receive the wrong prescription and give it to her child unknowingly. This is exactly what happened recently to a New York mother and her 3-month-old son.
Theresa Roma received a generic prescription for Zantac from her doctor for treatment of her son’s reflux and took it to a local Rite Aid pharmacy to fill. She gave the medication to her 3-month-old baby, but became concerned when her son was sick the next day. Her son had diarrhea and he “was upset; his stomach was gurgling constantly; he was crying a lot more,” said Roma. Because she realized that something was wrong, she called her doctor to review the medication with him.
After double checking the prescription with her doctor, she realized that the pharmacist filled the wrong dose. He filled the prescription for 7.5 milliliters instead of 7.5 milligrams, which was the dose the doctor prescribed. Due to this pharmacy error, Roma’s son received medication 15 times stronger than what the doctor prescribed and it sickened him. Baby Louis, at 7.5 pounds, suffered from dehydration after receiving this wrong dose of medication. The results could have been worse if Theresa Roma didn’t double check the prescription the moment something seemed off.
Importance of Reviewing Prescriptions Upon Pickup
While a pharmacist shouldn’t make these types of serious mistakes, it does happen from time to time. This is why it is critical that patients review all medications with the pharmacist to double check the drug name, dose, and method.
If you have been harmed by a negligent pharmacist, call a pharmacy error lawyer at Kennedy Hodges, L.L.P. at 888-526-7616 for a free case consultation and request a FREE copy of our report, How to Make Pharmacies Pay for Injuries Caused by Medication Errors.