Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-526-7616
Phone: 713-523-0001

Types of Errors

Dangerous and Defective Drugs If you put your trust in a pharmaceutical company and were hurt by their product, you deserve compensation for your suffering.
Wrong Medication Did you receive the wrong medication or incorrect prescription from a pharmacy? If you have suffered because of a medication error please call us for a free case review.
Wrong Dosage Common forms of medication error: incorrect dosage error. Order our free book to learn how to protect yourself and your family from wrong dosage errors.
Other Errors Order our free book, "How to Make Pharmacies Pay for your Injuries Caused by Medication Errors, to learn your rights in prescription error cases.
Kids Rx Errors Order a free copy of The Top 10 Tips to Protect Your Children Against Pharmacy Errors. If you have suffered a prescription error contact our firm today.
Pharmacy Malpractice If you have suffered an injury because a pharmacy dispensed the wrong medication or made an error with your prescription, you are able to file a claim for negligence or malpractice and receive the compensation you deserve.
Walgreens Pharmacy Error Claims There have been numerous claims brought against Walgreens for pharmacy errors or prescription errors. Order our free book to learn how to take action.
CVS Pharmacy Error Claims If you've been injured because of a CVS Pharmacy prescription error, call us for help with your lawsuit at 888-526-7616.
State Pharmacy Boards If you have been severely injured because of a medication error, contact board-certified attorneys immediately to investigate your case free of charge.
Drug & Pharmacy Error Prevention Filing a pharmacy error lawsuit is the only way to make pharmacies take accountability for mistakes. Call our board certified attorneys for a free case review.
State Pharmacy Laws State laws on pharmacy malpractice. Learn the pharmacy error Statute of Limitation laws that apply to your state. Call 877-342-2020 for a free consultation.

Texas Malpractice Lawsuit Filed Over Handwriting Error & Fatal Overdose

David W. Hodges
Partner at Kennedy Hodges LLP practicing pharmacy error, medical malpractice and personal injury law
Comments (0)

Mistakes made by medical professionals can cost people their lives. Because of this, doctors and pharmacists know that they need to be very careful when working with medications. However, sometimes serious errors still occur. Recently, a Texas malpractice suit cost a woman her life and a doctor $380,000.  According to San Antonio Express-News, a physician’s poor penmanship led to a patient’s fatal overdose.

Dialysis patient Dalia Hernandez, 72, had her toe on her left foot amputated at Northeast Baptist Hospital in the fall of 2011, and Dr. Flavio Alvarez—a kidney specialist—prescribed 10 millimoles of potassium. But days later, Hernandez had her right foot amputated—this caused the doctor to change his mind on the drug dosage. He wanted to increase the potassium dose to 20 millimoles, according to his testimony in court.

Instead of Dr. Alvarez writing a new prescription, he tried to write a “2” over the “1” to change the prescription from 10 millimoles to 20 millimoles of potassium. However, this mistake resulted in nurses and pharmacists interpreting the prescription as 120 millimoles—a fatal dosage. While Dr. Alvarez admitted to being negligent in writing the prescription, his attorney argued that the other trained professionals—nurses and pharmacists—should have not taken this high of a dosage seriously.

As a result of Dalia Hernandez’ death, her five adult daughters filed a Texas malpractice lawsuit against the doctor. At the hearing, the jury ordered the doctor to pay $380,000 in damages to the deceased’s family. While the family was pursuing a higher amount for their losses and mental anguish, the jury gave them less because they found Dr. Alvarez to be only 10 percent at fault. The jury believes the hospital holds the other 90 percent of the blame, and they have already reached an undisclosed settlement with the family.

Sadly, Dalia Hernandez’s unnecessary death is not unique. Many people die every year from medical mistakes. If your loved one has died as a result of a medical professional’s error, contact the experienced Texas pharmacy malpractice attorneys at Kennedy Hodges today at 888-526-7616 for a free initial consultation—we’re standing by to help.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.