The fact is that people make mistakes. However, when people make mistakes with your loved one’s life by giving them the wrong medication, overmedicating them, or not giving them their medication, an elderly patient of a nursing home can suffer as a result. Unfortunately, medication mistakes are a common occurrence in nursing homes throughout this nation.
Why Do Wrong Medication Errors in Nursing Homes Occur?
According to the FDA, medication errors happen for the following reasons:
- Poor communication
- Misinterpreted handwriting
- Confusing drug labels, labeling, and packaging
- Drug name confusion
- Lack of employee knowledge
- Lack of patient understanding regarding drug directions
No matter the reason, medical professionals are trained to provide a standard of care to every patient they treat. This includes administering the right medication and dosage of medication to nursing home patients.
When inspectors visit nursing homes, medication errors have been found that include:
- Patients given too much medication
- Patients not receiving their medication for days or missing medications
- Patients given heart medication without a pulse being recorded
When Wrong Medication Errors Occur, Get Representation
If your elderly loved one was a victim of a medication error caused by negligent nursing home staff members, call a Texas medication error attorney with Kennedy Hodges at 888-526-7616 today for a free consultation and a free copy of our report How to Make Pharmacies Pay for Injuries Caused by Medication Errors.