Pharmacies like Walgreens receive hundreds of prescriptions every day to fill. With heavy workloads, long hours on their feet, and constant interruptions—it’s no wonder why pharmacists make medication mistakes. Because of these things, in addition to fatigue and human error, pharmacists often fill the wrong medications and wrong doses of drugs, mix-up prescriptions, attach the wrong instructions, or make another error that causes customers harm.
Recently, a Walgreens in Illinois is at the center of a lawsuit following a prescription mix-up. According to the lawsuit, a male customer was given the wrong prescription and landed him in the hospital. When Andrews Colon went to pick up his prescription for thyroid medication at the Walgreens on 159th Street in Lockport, he was given a prescription that was meant for another customer instead of his correct medication.
Unaware of this pharmacy error, Colon took the medication he had been given—which ended up being high blood pressure medication instead of medication for his thyroid problem. The Walgreens lawsuit indicated that Colon took one pill every day over the course of months, which caused him to suffer the following side effects:
- Numbness in his arms
- Feeling sluggish
Colon sought medical help and was hospitalized. While at Bolingbrook Hospital, the suit said, “it was discovered that the prescription he was taking was intended for another customer.” After examining the pill bottle, it was evident that Colon’s contact information was on the label, but the pills inside were incorrect and were actually intended for a woman named Evelyna Washington.
Colon’s experience isn’t unique. Unfortunately, medication mix-ups occur at Walgreens pharmacies and other pharmacies across this nation almost on a daily basis. In order to keep safe and avoid being a victim of a Walgreens pharmacy error, it is important to have a consultation with a pharmacist before leaving the pharmacy. By doing so, a pharmacist may be able to catch the medication mistake before you suffer any harm.
Please share this story on Google Plus so that others will learn just how serious situations like this are, and why it is important to have a consultation with a pharmacist.