A Houston pharmacy may have made a prescription error that cost a little girl her life. Sadly, 6-year-old Jadalyn Williams died in April, 2012, from a morphine overdose, and her mother alleges her daughter’s death was caused by a prescription error.
Jadalyn suffered from sickle cell anemia and had painful episodes as a result of this disease. For pain management, she had been taking morphine sulfate to ease her symptoms. Simone Allen, Jadalyn’s mother, had been getting her prescriptions filled for the last five years at Cullen Care Pharmacy, but this time someone made a mistake that cost her daughter her life.
Not only does Simone Allen allege that a medication mistake occurred, but the pathological findings from the autopsy report back up her allegations, and indicate the cause of death as morphine toxicity. Unfortunately, a six-year-old girl didn’t have a chance of survival after receiving a very high dose of this drug—a dose ten-times higher that it should have been.
Because Simone feels that her daughter didn’t have to die, she and her lawyers have filed a pharmacy malpractice lawsuit against the pharmacy for their deadly error.
Sadly, Jadalyn Williams will never see the tender age of seven, and her death leaves her mother in mourning. “I miss her… she was full of life,” said Simone Allen, wiping away tears.
Unfortunately, medication mistakes due to negligent pharmacists occur more often than people realize. According to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, they closed 196 pharmacy prescription error complaints in 2012, specifically for wrong dosages. Additionally, the Institute of Medicine indicates that over 4,000 people are injured every day around this nation due to pharmacy errors or medication errors. While some medicine mistakes are minor, others are serious and cause innocent people to suffer fatal injuries.
The Texas pharmacy error attorneys at Kennedy Hodges would like to extend our deepest condolences to Simone Allen and the rest of the family for their loss.