A 7-year-old New York boy was given the wrong medication by his local pharmacy, which caused him to be hospitalized and treated for a methadone overdose. Little Adrien Torres was unconscious after taking his prescription and rushed to the hospital for treatment.
According to Christina Torres, the boy’s mother, she had Felicity Pharmacy in the Bronx fill Adrien’s prescription for generic Ritalin. After she had given her son his third dose of medication, he went limp, stopped breathing, his eyes were rolling back in his head and he looked blue.
The doctors revived Adrien and realized that the medication he was given from the pharmacy was methadone and not methylphenidate. Although his prescription bottle read the correct name, the pills inside were methadone, a synthetic heroin.
Ray Macioci, chairman of the NYC Pharmacists’ Society, said “Where there is a similar sounding name or similarly spelled words, that may play into it.”
Sadly, this medication mix-up has happened previously, as the drugs look similar and both have the same letter “M” stamped on the pills. The Food and Drug Administration warned pharmacies about this specific mix-up when an 8-year-old boy died in 1999 from a similar pharmacy error back then.
Adrien was hospitalized with heart issues and respiratory problems for one week, and he is still complaining of chest pains and tiredness. His mother is suing the pharmacy for this “inexcusable and potentially fatal error”, according to her lawsuit.
As Adrien is still recovering physically and emotionally, our pharmacy error lawyers wish him well and his family all the best.