UK Pharmacy Makes Mistake, Takes 2 Days to Warn Patient
Posted on Nov 16, 2011
Dosage errors in Texasare far too common, but it's not the only place they happen. Mislabeled prescriptions are causing patients to take an overdose of their medication across the world.
In a recent case in England, 43-year-old Janine Kennedy was prescribed a course of antibiotics and was told to take two pills four times a day, according to the pharmacy label.
She began taking the medication as instructed on Friday. On Monday afternoon, the head pharmacist called her and told her that the dosage instructions were incorrect: she should only be taking two pills twice a day.
As a result of the error, Kennedy had been taking twice the amount of the medicine for three days.
The pharmacist responsible for the error later called Kennedy to apologize for the mistake, assuring her it had never happened before. The pharmacist was crying as she explained that they had been short-staffed and the label machine was broken when Kennedy's prescription was filled.
While the overdose caused a scare, it posed no long-term damage to Kennedy's health.
The pharmacy has assured Kennedy that she was told of the error as soon as the mistake was discovered, and asked her to return the original packaging to aid in their internal investigation.
Read More About UK Pharmacy Makes Mistake, Takes 2 Days to Warn Patient...